A short update, work is continuing but more slowly due to real life…
For starters, I attended a convention in Portland last week, which was a lot of fun!
Unfortunately, I managed to pick up an ear infection in the last couple weeks that’s been slowing me down, both on hobby time and at work. I’m on antibiotics now so hopefully that will nip it in the bud soon.
The manager module is filling up fast, I only have around 2K and change left. I’ve decided to cut a feature, which was in-game storage of items, which would have been facilitated at various buildings in the major cities.
The problem is that the amount of code necessary to build and control an interface is significant. I have to complete the critically necessary components (like party management and player inventory control) before I can think about adding bells and whistles. In fact, that’s more the kind of feature that would come out of play-testing, if item management proves to be a problem.
After all the major game code is complete I may be able to move about/juggle some specific features into different modules and add new ones. The travel module has space to burn, potentially. (Although I am still not sure where the End Game code will go…)
The CRPG Addict has been playing an older game “Deathlord” recently, and having a very frustrating time of it. You can read his latest post about it here. It illustrates the importance of not just completing a game, but designing it well. A good game is like a good story; pacing is everything.
On the side, I’ve also been writing and re-writing portions of the content on the later disks. My early maps and places definitely have had the most time spent on them, and the latter not as much. A particular concern for me is to avoid repetition; having the same kind of character, story arc, or quest elsewhere is not all that fun. Tying it all together and making it a cohesive whole is paramount.