Category Archives: Coding

Trades and Revisions

Churning onward… As part of my work coding up traps for the encounter module, I realized I had to make my damage approach consistent. There’s effectively two kinds of damage reduction, one for wounding effects and one for every other … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design, TI-99/4a | Leave a comment

Now serving Monster #43…

Made a nice push and got a LOT of code work done. All that’s really left in the Combat module is alteration spells (which requires retooling them for the new data design, as well as adding some new stuff like … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design, Screenshots, TI-99/4a | Leave a comment

Do the Split

So it turns out that 12k was NOT enough for both combat encounter generation and management. I had 1K left and still a ton of things to write. So I’m splitting the encounter portion into a separate module. Fortunately, this … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design, TI-99/4a | Leave a comment

Halfway Point

So, now that it is July, the year is more than half over. My intention was to have the game complete by the end of the year. Will I make it? We will see… I changed tactics and stopped working … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design, TI-99/4a | Leave a comment

Character Resume

Continuing to work towards the big demo at Fest West ’18… I’ve gotten far enough with my testing of the travel and manager systems I think I can safely stop testing there and see if I can get the combat … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design, Screenshots, TI-99/4a | Leave a comment

Cut Off One Head…

Working on the CRPG and fixing bugs has been rather like fighting HYDRA lately… cut off one head, and two more take its place! I decided to convert my item and spell lists to use bit-delimited strings to save some … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design, TI-99/4a | 4 Comments

Slants and Wraps

It was a frustrating weekend filled with regressions and complex problems to solve… The travel module is by far the oldest code in the game. Iterations of it go back all the way to 2005. As a result, some things … Continue reading

Posted in Blog, Coding, CRPG, Design, Screenshots, TI-99/4a | 3 Comments

A Quick Word

My work at converting the dialogue system to sectors instead of records is complete! Now all incidental text for a given set of mobs is stored with the mobs themselves, and transaction text is with the transaction codes. Effectively, you … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design, TI-99/4a | 4 Comments

Do-Over Dialogue

So… I need to re-engineer my file system for dialogue. I hadn’t loaded the current game executable on my actual TI in awhile, so I decided to try, mainly to make sure I hadn’t introduced any problems. Initially I had … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design, RPG, TI-99/4a | 1 Comment

Conversation Starters

After a lot of back and forth, I finally got transactions working… Well, mostly. I’m debugging new issues all the time. 🙂 But here’s a short video of one in progress:

Posted in Coding, CRPG, TI-99/4a, Video | 2 Comments